Yes, yes… it’s all true. We live in an age of digital everything. At least until recently you could still get bills by regular mail and now even they’re going electronic. If you (like us) still get a kick out of receiving snail mail though, and like the idea of getting a little surprise in the post at regular intervals, then a subscription service could be for you. Once the domain of magazines and the occasional mail-order catalogue, stuff-by-subscription is a rapidly growing trend the world over.
So without further ado, here are our current faves in the ‘surprise’ category (that is, you don’t know what you’ll get with each package).
- Letters from Letty – the gorgeous Letty ticks so many of our boxes (and not just our mailbox). Supporting emerging artists, brands and labels? Check. Available all over the world? Check. Beyond beautifully packed and wrapped with love? Check check! Based in Australia, Letty pairs up with a lovely local each month to bring both male and female recipients a spectacular little surprise gift. Prices are as little as $39.00AUD per month (and get cheaper still if you subscribe annually).
- Glossy Box – with spectacular editions in more than 15 countries around the world, Glossy Box has built quite the beauty empire. Put simply, each and every month recipients get a glossy box with at least 5 deluxe sized samples of the latest in skincare, makeup and fragrance. What’s not to like about that? Prices start at $21.00USD per month. (Ed: It seems the Australian arm of Glossy Box is out of action. We also love Bella Box – much the same concept, but only $15.00AUD a month!)
- Svbscription (featured image) – advance warning: be cashed up to the hilt before visiting this site. This subscription service is so eye-wateringly pricey they don’t even do it monthly. Released just once a quarter, recipients can subscribe annually or buy one-off issues. But seriously. Designers curate items specifically for inclusion and each edition has a very specific theme. This is without a doubt, the ultimate in subscription services. It costs $330.00USD per quarter to receive a parcel. If you sign up to a twelve month svbscription you will receive four parcels per year for $1150.00USD.
- Quarterly – with packages that are mailed – you guessed it – quarterly, this is a subscription service just a little different from all the others. You individually select from a panel of very notable contributors from all over the world (we’re talking anyone from best-selling authors to award-winning designers and crazy-successful entrepreneurs) and they’re the ones that choose what goes into your box. Prices vary depending upon your contributor but start around $25.00USD plus shipping if you’re outside the US (they do ship internationally).
- Kiwi Crate – currently only available in the US, but with plans to ship internationally in the future (sign up to the wait-list here), Kiwi Crate is a monthly box of activities and projects for kids aged 3 – 7. Prices start at $19.95USD per month. Let’s hope those international shipping plans aren’t too far away!
Now to set up camp next to the mailbox…