To celebrate the annual brewer’s dinner (held at Sake tomorrow night), Group Executive Chef Shaun Presland was kind enough to share this knock-out-delicious-and-crazy-impressive recipe with us for Popcorn Shrimp with Butter Ponzu. Get ready to accept the compliments…
Entrée size for 4 people
16 medium raw prawns
300g tempura flour (100g for dusting, 200g for batter)
200ml ice cold water
100ml butter ponzu sauce (recipe below)
20g chopped chives
100g mixed salad leaves
Deep fryer with vegetable oil
Butter Ponzu dipping sauce (makes 1 Litre)
400ml dark soy sauce (koikuchi)
200ml rice vinegar
100ml lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
100ml orange juice (fresh squeezed)
40ml mirin (sweet cooking wine)
200ml clarified butter (melted)
2 teaspoons dry chili powder (togarashi)
NOTE: keep slightly warm for service so the butter doesn’t solidify
- Cut each prawn into three or four pieces and pat dry. Toss in 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer to 180C
- Mix 200g of tempura flour with ice cold water and mix loosely so that there are still some lumps
- Dredge the prawns in tempura flour and shake of the excess
- Throw into fryer (180C) and cook until crispy and light.
Mix all ingredients together.
Place a small amount of salad greens in each bowl, toss the fried prawns in butter ponzu and garnish with chopped chives.
If you’re lucky enough to be in Melbourne, the Annual Sake Brewers Dinner is on tomorrow night at Sake – Thursday 1 August (6.30pm). It’s a degustation menu designed by Shaun Presland with exclusive sakes to match – and a sake mini-masterclass from esteemed sake brewers from Japan. Tickets are a relative bargain at $149.00 AUD a head.