With the global economy the way it is, foreign currency fluctuations have become a genuinely interesting and unpredictable part of the evening news. What this means in practical terms is that more and more online stores are tapping into international markets, finally looking beyond their geographical borders and shipping to far-flung destinations. You can use this to just buy the things you can get locally at a cheaper price overseas. Or, you can actually find products that are genuinely different from anything you’d find in your home country.
Here are just twelve of my favourite online stores that are smart enough to know that even if they were based in China, at least 4/5 of the world’s population would lie beyond their borders.
- J.Crew – I’ve got lots of love for the mecca of prep. Very reasonable prices for the quality and their sales are extremely worthy of donating your email address.
- Net-A-Porter / Mr Porter – Uber crazypants high-end luciousness with a little affordability thrown in for good measure. Think Balmain to Hunter and everything in between.
- The Outnet – The online outlet for Net-A-Porter. They also seem to act as a clearance house for labels not stocked by their parent store, have exclusives made for them and have their own label, Iris & Ink.
- Beauty Bay – Delicious, delightful and delovely beauty items from cult brands like Stila, Urban Decay, Mario Badescu, OPI and Murad. Better yet… shipping is free, anywhere in the world!
- Reiss – UK born and bred, loved by Mrs Kate Middleton.
- Joseph – An exquisite combo of a to-die-for house label surrounded by the darlings of the fashion world – we’re talking the likes of Carven, Premiata and Aurelie Bidermann
- Urban Outfitters – If it’s young, it’s fun and it’s just a little hipster… chances are good you can find it at Urban Outfitters.
- Moda Operandi – Wipe that drool from your chin! Preorder your favourite pieces from the catwalk and have them delivered to your door at the same time the stores receive them.
- Lucky Scent – Head here for all things olfactory – you’ll find a dizzying selection of fragrances for you and your home as well as gorgeous candles. They’ll even sell you little vial samples for a few dollars to try at home.
- Zimmermann – The first and last Australian word on anything printed, floral and femme, particularly in the warmer months.
- Anthropologie – The go-to for a preppy take on florals, bows and lace. Mostly their own label with a few guest designers and other labels thrown in for good measure. Be sure to examine their ‘home’ section too for beautiful wallpaper, cushions and other such delights.
- Zinio – Oh alright, so they don’t technically “ship” worldwide, but if like me you have a penchant for international magazines, this is a great way to get your fix at a fraction of the cost. AND keep your household clutter to a minimum.